Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Morning Tea,,,,(A lesson in humility)

The fact that I did not post anything yesterday, was thanks to the utter dependability of the GP RS via BSNL, and somehow that made my day, incomplete.
A three day year old baby boy was operated upon, for a birth defect, at the local Medical College, and The Almighty willing, he should pull through. That was a good thing to have happened yesterday.
We doctors are supposed to entertain Herculean egos, and I wonder if that is the reason why I feel bad when I go to one of my seniors, for some Hospital related matter, and am made to wait outside, while a so-called important discussion is being held, and various clerical staff are maintaining a steady exodus, to and from the room. Is that my Ego, which felt the pinch, or is it the egos of the non-medical personnel we all encounter in our day-to-day lives, that feels pampered at this, 'putting us in our place'? I had a tough time tying to convince the staff of the shop, from where I had bought my laptop, to make a minor adjustment,in the hardware, yesterday, for the simple reason that I had forgotten to take along my receipt of sale, a mistake I accepted, but which made no dent in the intent of the person determined to teach me a much-needed lesson. This is in no way, meant to be a ' doctor v/s the rest of the world' kind of thing, but I cant help wonder, that life would be a much easier place, to get along in, and everything would get accomplished much sooner, in a much more pleasant and timely manner, if only people stopped trying to put us Doctors in our places, all the time,, Because, believe me when I say, we DO know our place, in the scheme of things, and I for one, do not tend to wear my degree on my forehead, as a status symbol, meant to put me above the rest of the world. I know the special privilege I have been given, as a Doctor, His little tool in making people forget their illnesses, for a while, and smile, and perhaps, sometimes, even make a sickness go away.

No comments:

Followers,