Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sanctuary

There is this particular tree (no I am not going fashionably green), the lush, laden boughs of which shelter my peaches and cream skin from the ever envious sun. I am accustomed to standing beneath it several times each day, enjoying my only vice,,,Tea!! This place is a vantage point (saw the movie?), it gives me a view of my work-place and its approach. Every time I stand there, sipping my brew, reiterating my Assamese-ness (?), I stare at the stream of swanky rides that pull up into the drive. Mercs, Beemers, Jags, Audis, Volvos, Hondas,,,,the list is never ending, much like the money these guys seem to have,,Sigh!!!!

Standing here I can also bitch to myself, to my hearts content, how people can so blatantly disregard other peoples health and manage to blow noxious cigarette smoke into my nose and mouth,,,,,,

Standing here, I invariably get the chance to honour my commitment to SLM, I did promise never to let any child begging on the streets return empty handed, and I religiously see that I keep that deal.

This is one of the only parts of the day, I am with things I love, my cup of Tea, the way the tree sheds its tiny leaves, sometimes into my cuppa, this 'Gulmohur' taking me back to my College and its red and yellow-strewn lawns and roads, rain-soaked, verdant, vibrant ,,,it takes me even further back into the recesses of my memories, to long walks back from school, along roads, carpeted with fallen blossoms, sharing laughter and yarns with friends most of whom are lost, no-longer in touch.

This is a time I keep for myself, when I shrug off a bad night, brace myself for a gruelling day, always knowing that I can return to this spot for a touch of reassurance, for a whiff of familiarity, of Home.

1 comment:

The Cynic said...

comfort zones and sanctuaries..especially in the middle of nowhere.

i have them too. 'cos i need them too.

nice to read you write about something so essential and integral to us, that we do not even think about it consciously.

Followers,