Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Perils in Hyderabad

Reading is one of the most dangerous hobbies one could ever have!

I mean it, it's full of peril,,,,

I am not saying this simply because buying books, which as we all will agree, is the most important prelude to reading one,, has become so costly. It has left many with the environment friendly and hi-tech option of e-books, one concept I shall never condone,, the whole charm in reading books is enhanced manifold by seeing a favourite tome cozying up your book-shelf for years to come, and as to the joys of curling up with your read of the moment, in a quiet corner, or while commuting to and from work, or in the toilet, while pandering to the time consuming evils of constipation,,,sighhhhh!!! I could go on and on and on,,,,,!

I heard of the famous CROSSWORD'S Hyderabad version today, and found out where it was located, the next logical step was to go there and worship,,I ventured forth, flagged an auto, which was already full thus necessitating me sitting, perched on a single ass-cheek (thank God I am so petite, and I hope I never repeat this statement again), squashed between this exuberant, pimply-faced, barely out of his teens, driver,, who I am sure had a death wish,, or was high on something, and the door frame, clinging on for love of life,,when, to my mounting terror, after a few yards of travelling in this ungainly fashion, he proceeded to pick up a group of 5 more people,, adjusting them God knows how, then proceeding to careen through the busy 6' o clock traffic, making me screw up my eyes in fright, and wrinkle up my nose, for the tight squeeze also meant ripe, end-of-the-day smells emanating from my co-passengers,,and pray for this journey into hell to end.

Add to this the heart stoppingly loud thump of the current fave Telugu number, from the vehicles' disproportionately large and sturdy speakers,,and I only wished I had taken up some harmless hobby like Archery or Bomb-making,,,

Drenched in sweat, most of it not mine,,,i finally reached my destination, and proceeded to make my already meager bank-balance lighter by a thousand rupees, I came back to my room, thankfully in a crowded City bus,, richer by 3 books,,which were Catch 22, The life of Pi, and Conversations with God! Eclectic? That's me.

And now I proceed to the sumptuous task of reading one of them,, this is the part that justifies my perils and the expenses,,,,every time!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

catch 22 and life of pi??? great choices. get started man!!!

Followers,