Monday, September 6, 2010

Tale of a City

Ostentatious- Once you have to Hyderabad, you never will have to look up its meaning in the dictionary.
It seems to be some sort of an ongoing theme people here live by, their whole lives revolving around it or dictated by it.
Its everywhere, evidence I mean.
Flashy cars driven by flashier looking 16 year olds, designer threads in the malls, and I do not only mean on the mannequins,,
People always look dressed for a party, which seems to be on perennially, and its one which every Hyderabadi has an open invite to. The "trendy" youth in foreign labels while another segment seems to have some deal with all the jewelery and sequin shops of the city, you could have practical "show and tell" classes for those interested in making a career in embroidery.
And don't get me started on the houses,, sorry I meant mansions. The road to and from the hospital I work at, which incidentally is one of the "poshest" neighborhoods of the city, is bordered on both sides by houses which look like ads for the good life. Porticoes, Grecian pillars, wide verandas,, asymmetrical extensions, manicured lawn,,,the works!!
The stretch of road I spoke of has almost all the major luxury car showrooms scattered along it, I always hang my head out of the autorickshaw door and drool at the cars on display, cars which I see zooming past me all the time. Rolls, Bentleys, Mercs, Beemers, Beetles and the Volvos galore.
Sigh!!
When I go to a mall to catch a movie, I spend some time looking at my co-viewers, while I am dressed like something the cat deigned to drag in on a night when the pickings were really slim, I see even 15 year olds with their other halves dressed like characters from 90210 or Gossip Girl, inspired by these very shows, I'm sure.
These people are firm believers in the glittery= gold theory. Salons, tattoo parlors never seem to be empty, I know someone who went out and got himself a tattoo worth 6000, just to let out some steam, If only I could do that, but at the rate I lose my temper, I'd look like a Persian carpet in a week,,,eyebrow deep in debt too!!
All these thoughts accompanied with a lot of grinding and gnashing of teeth (Envy not worms) were flying around in my head today, I was on my way back from "Landmark-the book store" having bought two books, having done all kinds of calculations first. Calculation? You wonder?,, well despite a 50% discount, it isn't possible for me to buy more than 2 books at a time, so what if I wanted to get a few more?
And then on my way back, I had to share space in a three wheeler with others like me, for there is another part to this city, one that's not so glittery and glamorous. The part inhabited by me and many like me, who look, see, dream and sometimes write satirical, scathing blogs on the attainable in life.
Grapes are indeed sour, you see!



6 comments:

The Cynic said...

I wont care too much about the grapes though. It IS the good life that you described, but I'll take my dream uninhabitated island anyday over all this and more.

The 'something the cat dragged in on a day with slim pickings' was a scream though. I literally started imagining the mangy cat and the pickings and you!

rajarshi said...

Tell me about it, any cat would have to be very desperate indeed,
Uninhabited island? Hmmm, this could work! The "no one to scream at" thing would need some getting used to though.

daktar said...

"but at the rate I lose my temper, I'd look like a Persian carpet in a week"

That was hilarious at the same time conveying the truth.

But don't worry.

There is some satirical blogger on the other side too who longs to be you and lead the life you lead. There must be one!

The Cynic said...

You can paint a face on a volleyball and name it 'Wilson' and shout at it....
(a la Cast Away)

rajarshi said...

"Wilson",I like that, U r awesome!

Daktar dear,,when you know yourself in and out, no nasty surprises.

Prajwal Kumar said...

Extravagance is a relative term...but i agree...one should rather consider reminding oneself there are people in this world with no legs and can't afford prosthetics than go out abd buy 5g worth pair of shoes!

Followers,