Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Of Vampires and Graveyards..

Back from another night of fun, sheer fun at the ICU where someone, (read irate attendant who was not allowed entry into the ICU at 11 pm by yours truly) gave me a lesson on the WHO norms for transperancy in ICUs and I got a chance to be at my silkiest and sarcastic best, after a long, long time.

As I have no doubt enlightened you earlier, I am in the habit of buying books in bulk, whenever I have the requisite resources and then enjoying them at leisure, much like a cow ruminates, this time I picked up the first book in Stephenie Meyers' vampire series, "Twilight",,,,,and I simply could not put it down, it was that good a read. Written in the first person by this American teenage girl 'Bella' which is short for Isabella, by the way, who relocates to stay with her father, both her parents live seperately being divorced and all that, and there, in small town America, she comes across this family of atypical vampires, by which I mean that these are not your run of the mill blood-sucking monsters, they do suck blood mind you, but only of animals, and this girl falls in love with the youngest son of the family, who is just a century old by the way, and the (?) guy too is irrevocably drawn to her. The one-liners here are fabulous and the whole thing is one great page-turner. It ends with a prom, leaving you, thirsting (?) for more.

So I am going to post this freshen up and go get me the rest of the three books in the series, inspite of being half-dead from lack of sleep, which by the way does nothing for the way I look, and despite the fact that my sadist of a boss has me on another graveyard shift tonight.

So, if any of you have not read this book, and do not belong to the so-called clan of Intellectuals who would rather die than be caught with pulp-fiction in their hands, go get the books and read them, you are gonna love them.

PS. they are making a movie out of the series and the first is due to release soon.

PPS. This is a special thank you to those guys who are from Kansas and California, who stop by regularly, waste enough of their time to go through this. Thanks guys, wish you would leave a comment or two sometimes though.

PPPS. "J", why aren't you writing at all?

3 comments:

Sukanya Lenhardt said...

yeah i was being very lazy these days. and maybe no inspiration....but i will be posting soon...:-) if you are into reading vampire novels you might like to try the vampire chronicles by Anne Rice...if you havent already read all of them...:-) keep posting...:-)

The Cynic said...

mmmm.... i did find the stephenie meyer books and i knew about them being pulp-horror bestsellers, but i let them pass by coz (ahem) they looked like too pulp.
i bought stephen king and patricia highsmith instead.

looks like i'll have to read meyer too...

rajarshi said...

I know, they are such "PULP", but fun, do read them, Stephen King has always been one of my all time faves, have you read "Needful Things",, his best after Cujo and Carrie..

Followers,